Tuesday, October 31, 2006

MUDDYBUDDY Adventure Race!!

WELCOME to the MUDDYBUDDY Adventure Race!!!!
On October 29th, my pal Jamie Nations and myself embarked on what would be a challenge of gargantuous proportions, the MuddyBuddy Adventure Race. 7 Miles of mountain biking, trail running, obstacle courses, mud pits, and goooooooood Times!!! Below is the story and real life adventure that took place. Special thanks to our personal photographer, the gorgeous and stunning Emily Keith.
Enjoy my friends, enjoy.


Driving to the race, Phil and Jamie, a little pre-race music featuring Jamie's favorite band: New Kids on the Block, always a strong selection, and a little Gun's and Roses; Welcome to the Jungle, my personal request. It's almost go time, we were getting pumped up.
TEAM K-NATIONS preparing for the big race.
Strong, Focused, Athletically Superior, Dashing and well kept...I had no doubt at this point that a "W" was in the works for TEAM K-NATIONS!!

The Champ (me), preparing for the start.
Note, I chose not to go for the full spandex race gear like Captain Intensity did next to me. Wise choice on my side, very wise.
THE STARTING LINE!!
And were off!!! I started out on the bike portion. Cruised out to an impressive lead, in third place after 1/2 mile... little did I know that after this first 200 yards on a paved path, we would ride and run 6 miles up a mountian, and then come down. After the first 200 yards we cruised onto a single/double trail that wound up and down the mountain, the first incline was about 500 yards, I charged it, and quickly fell from third place to 10th place or so as my quads burned on fire from the incline and rocky trail conditions. However, because I am a superstar, I quickly regained comand after the second mile.
Jamie taking off on the first trail run portion, he unforutnately followed in my footsteps and charged the first incline not realizing that it was a long way up, "legs-burning, can't breath, need help" that was our thoughts that first portion of the race! When we converged at the second transition point, I thought we weren't going to make it after looking at the sweat and agony on Jamie's face. But, we persevered and quickly jumped back into the heat of things.

After pounding countless obsticles, cargo nets, balance beams, water, we finally had the finish in sight.
The Final Stretch, that's me and Jamie, two teams back, soon to overtake the leaders!!
The Sprint to the finish line, and the Mud pit.
THE MUD PIT!!!!
and who knows what other nasty things
That's me in the lead, looking back to urge my partner on, pretty Narly!
WE FINISHED!!!
slurping down some gatorade and catching our breath.
Debriefing and going over our race strategy at the finish line.
We actually don't know what place we finished, as we had staggered start times and ran in heats. I prefer to believe we got first place in our heat, but we'll see.
Team K-Nations, picture time, you bet!
Me, covered in Mud, dripping mud from the mouth, ate some mud I'm quite sure, solo shot.
Jamie, muddy, solo shot.
Taking pictures with the Landrover Frogs Mascotts.
Muddy and dirty we headed off to the "showers."
And so it all ends at the wash down station. 100 plus fellas at any given time, stripping down and washing off mud, really dirty, no water pressure, .... Until next year.....memories.